The end of the year is approaching and so are the events that come with it, the clapping and the commemorations and the warm, fuzzy feelings of all those awards ceremonies. These events are not really about getting clapped at. They’re about coming together, drawing inspiration from the good work of your peers, and being moved by the positive inertia of design.
Two el dorado projects are winners of Interior Design Magazine’s Best of Year Awards. (more...)
Last Friday, a group of well-dressed individuals gathered after dark inside the glowing lenses of the Bloch Building. The occasion was the AIA Kansas City’s 2012 Design Excellence Awards, and what better place for it than the Nelson Atkins Museum, one of the most spectacular (and most renowned) buildings in the city.
After consuming some bite-size morsels and pint-size glasses on the long, ramped floor, we gathered in the auditorium to hear the results. (more...)
We recently put the finishing touches on a project many years in the making. Since we began the renovation in 2004, Rob Barnes and Karen Bisset have steadily grown into their Mission Hills home, adding to their collection of modern furniture, and watching their children grow up in the open and spacious expansion. (more...)
Last fall, officials at Johnson County presented us with a unique challenge. Renovate an old Dillons grocery store to house three different departments of the JOCO Justice System–the Sheriff’s Office, Court Trustees, and Court Services. We set out on a difficult task: to “Un-Dillonize the Dillons,” and turn the shell of an old grocery store into a stately civic facility.
This isn’t to say that Dillons isn’t an institution in its own right. Jonathan S. Dillon started selling groceries at his Sterling, KS general store in the 1890s. In 1913 he expanded his operation, opening the first J.S. Dillon Cash Food Market in Hutchison, Kansas. (more...)
This summer we finished designing and building an office for Mission Peak Capital, a financial firm in the Crossroads. Our work at 1908 Main included the historic renovation of a two-story masonry and wood framed structure, as well as a small addition to the back of the building. Originally constructed in 1926, 1908 Main is a Kansas City landmark, the historic headquarters of the Jackson Democratic Club and the office of Thomas J. Pendergast. (more...)